Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

As a college student who has to make all her own food, I live on sandwiches. Like, three square meals of sandwiches (with vegetables on the side).
I know it's not the healthiest to only eat sandwiches, especially only peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I swear they put nicotine in grape jelly. And in peanut butter, for that matter!
Pants is known to get a giant jar of peanut butter and just eat it straight from the jar or put it on apples with honey. (She is also a huge fan of honey and got many honey-type Christmas presents from us here at school: 3 or 4 jars of honey and honey gummy bears.)
I have been craving the weirdest sandwiches lately, too, including yesterday when I wanted to eat a peanut butter, banana, and cheese puff sandwich for dinner. My good friend who we will refer to as Snow advised against it.

Little sidebar here, Snow will be called Snow because she IS Snow White, only Greek. Last year when a group of my friends and I came up with Disney princess personas, she automatically became the 14 year old Disney princess. She is sweet, beautiful, and one of my best friends, so now you know.

So instead of letting me make and eat my super awesome masterpiece of a sandwich, Snow and I went to go get free candy, cotton candy (I had two sticks of cotton candy), Oreos dipped in a chocolate fountain, fried cheese sticks, and french fries... I promise I usually eat extremely healthily.

I swear, being a college student is like being pregnant or something. I am always craving the weirdest foods and food combinations. Some of them turn out well (like putting marshmallow fluff and Nutella on graham crackers to make instant s'mores), and others not so well (never put ketchup on celery... don't do it). With 20/20 hindsight, I don't understand why some of my failed food combinations sounded appealing at any time, but sometimes it's like, I want this taste and this taste in my mouth right now! And it seems totally legit at the time. For instance, ice cream is delicious, right? (I understand that not everyone likes ice cream, and that's okay. I still love you.) And green olives, also delicious. But together they taste like screaming goats imploded and turned into ear wax covered in wasabi that smells like farts and still sounds like screaming goats, and that is all in your mouth so your body is rejecting it big time.
Yeah, I have had some bad combinations.

Total random note (rant) on sandwiches, I have no problem making ANYONE a sandwich, man or woman. However, I will NOT make someone a sandwich if they tell me to "make a sammich" or to "get back in the kitchen." First of all, the kitchen has food, so I am there to eat it anyway. Secondly, I was raised in a home where manners and grammar were important. If my boo wants a sandwich, and he says, "Could you please make me a sandwich?" (keyword being please) or I offer to make him a sandwich, I will. I believe in women's rights and all, but I am not a feminazi and I do not believe that women deserve better treatment than men. I believe that if someone is kind and deserves a sandwich after a long school day, I should be allowed to make them a goodness-darn sandwich without people making a huge fuss about it.
Okay. Rant over.

So yeah, moral of the story, sandwiches = good, feminazis = bad, college student = odd food choices, and me = liking food.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I am going to go make a peanut butter, banana, and cheese puff sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment